2007/6/28, Roy Vegard Ovesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> AFAIK real life autopilots can be overpowered by the pilot. Wheter this is
> done by brute force or if the servos can sense that they are being
> overpowered and then let go, I don't know. Since we don't have any force
> feedback support in Flightgear, we'll have to make the autopilot sense that
> it is being overpowered.

I agree. But for a realistic simulation I have to be able to keep my
yoke untouched
with autopilot enabled and then virtual yoke has to be fully
controlled by autopilot.

I thank that a good solution would be making a new intermediate property,
a virtual axis that would be the result of ap_selection +
yoke_axis_position but the
changes in the code are more complex. And for emulating force I thank that it
would be interesting that the factor of the yoke had to be decremented when
autopilot is enabled so you have to make more force for moving it.

But it would break force feedback devices and wouldn't be realistic at
all, because
you would have to move yoke more distance for a less movement of the virtual
yoke.

The key binding for disabling or enabling yoke is another solution, but I prefer
the auto-deactivation because, as we discussed earlier, in real life it is not a
common situation that a pilot overpowers an autopilot (IMHO).

If you think there is a better solution I will agree. But IMHO I think the worst
mode is the actual, with an autopilot that makes virtual yoke move very quickly
and it is this way if you keep joystick stoped too.

> The hard part will be how to decide that the pilot is trying to overpower the
> autopilot. One possibility is to press a button to tell that you are
> overpowering.
>

> --
> Roy Vegard Ovesen

Woodyst.