Hi!

AnMaster wrote:
> Very nice, exactly what data is this scenery generated from and why can't it
> be used for all of flightgear's scenery? In my opinion the current scenery is
> plain ugly.

Some of the information about the data sources can be found on the
project homepage:

http://www.custom-scenery.org/Oshkosh-Scenery.338.0.html

Part of the data is based on a "new" method of automatic landcover
classification from Landsat satellite imagery. The method is not "new"
in that it is well-known in other areas. The method is "new" in the
sense, that it was not yet applied to FlightGear scenery generation.

The other part of the data is from the U.S. Census Bureau TIGER dataset,
which is highly detailed and accurate, but only available for the US (or
even only parts thereof, not sure currently).

> Also is this scenery being generated for some event (like the linuxtag add on
> scenery was)? In that case what event exactly?

The occasion is that a request was some month ago to rebuild the scenery
for the Oshkosh EAA AirVenture, which is to take place next week.

We are currently still in a pre-automation stage for the classification
methodology. We hope to get "series-production" running at some point
where a set of powerful computers (which will probably be provided by
the OSGeo foundation) will perform the classification worldwide, leading
to a hopefully complete landuse dataset of the whole world.

What we could also improve on the scenery in a much more simple step
would be to improve the textures. The current textures are much too
contrast-poor. At least that's my impression when I compare what I see
from above and what I see in FlightGear. Unfortunately, I'm not good at
knowing in advance what will look good, I just see when it doesn't look
good.

Cheers,
Ralf