Melchior FRANZ schrieb:
> I haven't thought much about the whole matter, but here are
> some of my thoughts anyway.  :-)
>
> ..
>
> (3) I find parts of John's idea nice, but the examples in
>     the referenced file are much too complex for my taste.
>     Also, I wouldn't like a "language" parser for it done
>     in c++. We did a lot of work to get rid of all hardcoded
>     stuff, and this would be a step backwards. Nasal is
>     fast and powerful enough for this.
>
>     I could imagine to allow setting frequencies and some
>     other data in this manner. I've today added an interface
>     for key events, so that we can play with the idea. Here
>     is a simple demo:
>
>        http://members.aon.at/mfranz/devel.nas  [558 B]
>
>     It monitors all key events, passes everything until
>     it sees a tilde ~, at which point it grabs all further
>     keys, assembles them and displays them in a popup, and on
>     <return> prints the string to the console and resumes
>     normal mode.
>
> m.

Very interested but with a little time-delay I tested this feature and
really, this could get one very nice feature of FlightGear.
Together with a parser and an external (=loaded on startup) parserlist a
lot is possible to do as well for the new user and the advanced one.

How could that work:

PREDEFINED FOR THE PARSER (not to be edited by the user)
(long identifier name to make it unique)

(user input)                                  ( parser triggered action)
on                                                  switch property on
+                                                    switch property on
off                                                  switch property off
-                                                     switch property off

"1 .. 0", "."                                       number value, set
property
com1                                            name of property
com2
nav1
nav2
radial
..
standby
selected
autopilot
fdm
headcontr
velcontr
pacontr
winglev
headbug
..
3dclouds
..
timeshift
..
catlaunch
..
panellightug
levelwings=winglev
landlight

MY EDITED PARSERLIST (loaded on startup of FG)
(this is good for an more advanced user who likes it short)
sb = standby
sel=selected
ap=autopilot
ts=timeshift
c1=com1
n1=nav1
rad=radial
hb=headbugug
levelwings=winglev
wl=winglev
hc=headcontr
cl=catlaunchug
levelwings=winglev
l=landlight
L=panellight

MY INPUTS to set up the aircraft (preflight)
tilde
> L +
> c1 sb 118.85
> n1 sel 111.7
> n1 rad 200
..
MY INPUTS on flight
tilde
> hb 175
> hc on
> l +

ANOTHER USER LIKES IT MORE VERBOSE
PARSERLIST
headingbug=headbug
levelwings=winglev
landinglight=landlight

This are just some fast thoughts, but the possibilites behind this (at
the moment) little demo from Melchior are only limited by the work for
the parser and our phantasy.
The only thing I would suggest is to replace the tilde by a
"one-key-stroke" on many European keyboards like the doublecross.

Just my thoughts, I am interested in your feedback.

Regards
Georg EDDW