I can't answer this at length at the moment, but a couple of months ago I
turned off JSBSim turbulence completely because I had some questions about
it myself. If you get the FGAtmosphere.cpp file from JSBSim CVS, that should
include the newly turned off turbulence.

I hope to revisit that in the near future. I have assembled some reference
documents to review as time permits.

Jon