On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 16:53 -0800, Syd&Sandy wrote:
> Hi all ,
>       In case I wasn't too clear previously   ,what i was proposing for the
> gear lever lock was to add something like this to the controls.nas file ...
>
> var gearDown = func(v) {
>       if(getprop("/controls/gear/gear-lever-lock"))return;
>     if (v < 0) {
>       setprop("/controls/gear/gear-down", 0);
>     } elsif (v > 0) {
>       setprop("/controls/gear/gear-down", 1);
>     }
> }
>
> to enable gear lever locking , one would just add ...
> <controls>
>       <gear>
>               <gear-lever-lock type="bool">1</gear-lever-lock>
>       <gear>
> </controls>
>
> This would stop accidental gear operation on equipped aircraft (and the old
> ones with hand cranks )...
>
> IF this is another bad idea , I will just add a setlistener check on the
> gear-down property...
>
> Gheers
>
> Syd&Sandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Syd,

Have a(nother) look at the squatchswitch.nas file in the c182rg.

I'm in favor of leaving the default controls.gearDown() simple, as
opposed to complicating it with a crude locking mechanism.  Aircraft
designers are free to re-bind it at need, the c182rg actually calls the
original gearDown function when the safety logic approves.

In most/all retractable gear aircraft it is possible to put the gear
control handle in the "up" position while on the ground, leaving gear
safety devices prevent the gear from moving.  This is generally a _bad_
_thing_ for a pilot to do.  In FlightGear currently, we give instant
negative, if unrealistic, feedback by droping the airframe to the
tarmac. Your proposed patch would unrealistically prevent the handle
from moving at all.  Your example also creates a fixed landing gear as
nothing ever clears or resets /controls/gear/gear-lever-lock.

Ron