Ampere K. Hardraade schreef:
> Just to elaborate: I am against software patent.  But when someone can patent
> ideas that are in public domain, then it doesn't just concern software
> patents anymore.  It means the entire patenting system is broken.
>
> Ampere
It is only a matter of time until some corporation starts patenting the
laws of physics. The whole idea of 'intellectual property' seems a
mystery to me -- it means anyone can claim that he/she thought up
something and wants to make a large amount of money out of it. I'm not
against making money out of tangible objects -- hardware, physical media
-- but the whole idea of making money out of 'thin air', being either
artistic or intellectual, seems a bit ridiculous. I think it's one of
the extremeties of the free market. But I've got a feeling that the
whole market on IP will collapse in the near future: the Writer's Guild
of America is already on strike in the movie world, with the Screen
Actor's Guild following shortly, because they just don't make enough
money out of the 'air' sold. :)