Curtis Olson wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2008 8:56 PM, Csaba Halasz <> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have changed Tiago's patch somewhat, it now iterates over all the
>> ground layers.
>> Debug output looks like this for KSFO:
>>
>> Found tower ground layer at 124.323ft, material <unnamed>
>> Found tower ground layer at 114.536ft, material <unnamed>
>> Found tower ground layer at 82.3405ft, material <unnamed>
>> Found tower ground layer at 42.9577ft, material <unnamed>
>> Found tower ground layer at 5.36808ft, material pc_tiedown
>> Setting tower viewpoint altitude 112.368
>>
>> I was hoping to find a layer like "Grass" or "Ground" somewhere, but
>> no. So for now, the code picks the lowest layer, which might not work
>> if the tower is sunk into the ground as other objects frequently are.
>> I tested LHBP and that worked (even had grass material).
>>
>> Also attached is a patch to apt.dat (gunzip, patch, gzip) that updates
>> KSFO and KNID tower viewpoint based on the scenery.
>> I am not sure we can trust the tower position in apt.dat, since the
>> elevation values are frequently obvious nonsense (500 for KSFO and 0
>> for KNID).
>>
>> Please comment.
>

> Isn't the airport altitude also reported in the same file?
>
> We should be able to set the tower altitude in MSL to apt_alt + tower_alt.
> It seems like extreme overkill to actually query the ground elevation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Curt.

However the airport altitude seldom matches the scenery. While this is a pitty,
what would users
notice most:

* Tower view is calculated from scenery, so it any tower building placed on the
terrain in scenery.
* Tower view is calculated from entry in apt.dat that is likely not the same as
the scenery, tower
view may end up above tower, or below tower (or even below ground)

Since the elevation values are way off as Jester mentioned, I think basing it
on scenery is best.
However the airport altitude should probably be corrected as well.

Regards,

Arvid Norlander