Hi!

Curtis Olson wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 1:22 AM, Frederic Bouvier <> wrote:
>
> I was thinking about the parameter we pass to "Terra" to simplify the
> initial grid. IIRC, this parameter is always the same, leaving all
> *.arr.gz files with the same number of vertices.
>

> Yes, that's a good point, and something definitely to think about if
> we made such a tile layout switch.

So then we should not use geographical coordinates but rather use a
mercator projection, assuming the earth is round, such as:

y=dlat
x=dlon*cos(dlat)

and then impose a grid on that. If I understood it correctly, that is
what Fred originally wanted to propose. That would give us a grid in
which tile widths vary with their actual linear width.

There are some problems with that.

What comes to my mind first is that tiles would not be rectangular
anymore. They would not be in the geographic coordinate system and at
least for the border tiles they would not be in the projected coordinate
system.

This would lead to clipping problems in TerraGear which - if not solved
accurately - could lead to z-fighting-problems or gaps at tile borders,
if tiles overlap or "underlap" (is that a word? probably not).

Currently we have tile borders that are representable as polygon - more
strictly as rectangles - which makes clipping easy. The new tile borders
could not be well-approximated using polygons. We could try creating
clipping polygons that approximate the borders down to an error of
SG_EPSILON, but I'm not sure if that is practicable.

The alternative, of using clat, the center latitude of a tile ring as
follows

y=dlat
x=dlon*cos(clat)

would give us rectangular tiles at least in geographic coordinates, but
would also lead us to the same problem Curt already mentioned:

Curtis Olson wrote:
> The big problem with the current system is that at every latitude
> boundary where the number of tile subdivisions changes per degree, we
> have ugly gaps because the tile edge matching code simply can't
> account for 2 tiles matching up to 1 tile ... an oversight in the
> original scheme.

The alternative would be to scale the number of vertices passed to
TerraFit by cos(lat)...

Cheers,
Ralf