On Sat, Feb 9, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Alex Buzin wrote:

> I have write the flight to the file using generic protocol (with
> playback.xml). When replaying flight in Cockpit View all is fine, but when
> switch to Chase View picture starts to jitter.
> I got this at Flightgear-1.0.0 at v0.9.10 this effect is not present.
> I build FG from sources at Windows, is someone have the same feature at
> other systems. And how this can be fixed?

Hi Alex,

I've noticed this too when driving a copy of FlightGear from an external
source.  I believe the view system was substantially reworked to incorporate
some additional nasal flexibility, but the timing of incoming packets now
affects the view positioning code which causes problems if a remote data
source isn't in perfect sync with the local frame rate (which it is not
likely to be unless you are extremely careful with your hardware selection
and setup.)

I have filed this under <sigh> not something I have time to look into myself
right now, but is something I've brought up before, but not something I have
the time/energy to push on right now.</sigh>

It is good to hear that I'm not the only one that has run into this problem
of horribly jittery external views when driving the visuals from anything
other than the built in flight dynamics.  This one is going to bite us in
the future because it effectively kills FlightGear's biggest use in research
and industry ... as a visualization tool for people's flight dynamics,
autopilot, and airframe development.

For what it's worth, I ran into this most recently at SCALE when I tried to
setup my laptop as an external view of Jack's 747 cockpit simulator.  The
cockpit view worked ok on my laptop, the fly-by view worked ok, but none of
the chase views were even close to usable.

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/