Am Sonntag 30 März 2008 schrieb BARANGER Emmanuel:
> Hi all,
>
> After some tries on the Paris scenery and with nels' help on jabber,
> here are a few screenshots showing how much a textured ground
> dramatically improves Flightgear rendering.
>
> http://helijah.free.fr/ground/JPG-Version/
>
> Well, for now the method is just eavy as we have to make use of
> materials.xml. But still, isn't this a convaincing result ?

While this might seem superior on first glance, I see many issues with that
simple approach, some of them noticeable even in your screenshots:

* Using aerial photography on a worldwide scale means creating a second google
earth, with all related demands as to storage space. Not to mention copyright
issues/free data sources.

* Usually the pictures contain shadows that naturally don't align with the sim
state most of the time. Even worse the shadow code of FG might create doubled
shadows in opposite directions.

* Any misplaced buildings spring to eye immediately as there is a ghost
groundplan visible some distance away (see the Orly shots).

* All aerial photos that are not orthorectified contain distortions (depending
on altitude and lateral distance of the shooting aircraft), that might be
impossible to cover by a 3d building even if placed correctly. This is
especially true for high rises and skyscrapers.

* In the densely populated areas of Paris note the mismatch between the 3d
buildings and the streets. This is not specific to aerial photos but more
pronounced, as more streets are directly visible.

* As it looks nice in still images at a certain altitude, I suppose much of
the effect is lost in a live session, as depth perception is improved with
motion. In Paris this degradation is probably covered by the hundreds of 3d
buildings which aren't available elsewhere (yet).

That said, I don't think your approach is meaningless. Given that the project
area is small and built up areas are covered with 3d buildings it provides a
more detailed and more accurate view of the project area than the standard
approach. Depending on the projects goals this might be what you want, as
also Curt has shown in his synthetic view video. So having kind of a tutorial
or howto seems to be a good idea, so that others might reproduce what you've
done in Paris.

Thomas