Ron Jensen wrote:

> Sent: 20 April 2008 21:30
> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 12:55 -0700, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Enthused by a comment on the forum by snork
> > (http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1333), I've been
> > working on an extension to the generic blackout/redout script which
> > attempts to simulate the feeling of compression due to g-forces, by
> > moving the pilot viewpoint vertically depending on the apparent
> > g-force.
> >
> > This is a simplified version of what vivian, Josh et al.
> created for
> > the Buccaneer and other aircraft.
> >
> > Of course, the main advantage of this is that it is completely
> > generic, and pretty lightweight too. The overhead ontop of the
> > redout/blackout is minimal: one extra property read/write
> per frame,
> > only when the feature is enabled and in cockpit view.
> >
> > A patch for this is available from
> > http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/headshake.patch
> >
> > Comments are very welcome, but I'm particularly interested
> in peoples
> > views on the following:
> >
> > 1) Obviously this duplicates some aircraft-specific code,
> and one can
> > argue that this sort of feature is only important for high-energy
> > jets, where it should be modelled in more detail than I have done.
> > I've been playing with this code on the Stampe, A4-F and Pitts, and
> > have felt that it has improved the feeling of realism, but then I
> > wrote it ;) Do people feel it is worth providing a generic
> > implementation, given that for most GA flying is at 2g or less, and
> > this will move the pilot viewpoint 5cm!
>
> It is worthwhile to model generically.  Many aircraft in CVS
> could benefit from this feature without having to recode it for each.
>
> > 2) Currently the redout and headshake enabling properties are
> > userarchive, which (as I understand it) means that the user's
> > preference will over-write any aircraft setting. Given that
> both these
> > generic features duplicate existing aircraft-specific code,
> I think I
> > should remove this flag, so aircraft designers can
> over-ride it. Any
> > comments?
>
> STRONGLY OPPOSE.  User preference should absolutely outweigh
> the aircraft designer.  While I might feel, as an aircraft
> designer, that a function adds a degree of realism, I can't
> and don't test on different hardware, monitor resolutions,
> multi-head setups, hardware simulator setups, etc.  which
> head-shake may cause problems with.
>
> I personally find it annoying to have the panels jumping
> around during IFR flight.

Are we talking about the same utility? Headshake as implemented is a
comparatively small effect, which is only visible at moderate to high G
trying aerobatics in IFR). I can antcipate no interaction with different
hardware, monitor resolutions, or multi-head setups, although it does need
to be disabled for hardware simulator setups. And unless you are seeing a
bug, the movement is gradual and only jumps around in the event of very high
G loadings - in a crash for example. Did you mean dynamic view?

> > 3) At the moment, this feature is limited to the y-offset
> of the pilot
> > viewpoint. For non-military aircraft,  the most significant
> g-forces
> > will be felt in the y-axis (in the pilots frame of
> reference), as they
> > cannot yaw fast enough to cause any in the x-axis, and they
> don't have
> > enough power to cause any in the z-axis. If it is worth providing a
> > generic feature, is it worth making it multi-dimensional?
>
> It may be worth while to add.  Perhaps it could be used to
> give a sense of slip/skid for the GA pilot.

Vivian