* Syd -- Friday 02 May 2008:
> I see some commited from Melchior that suggest he might be working
> on a solution, just not sure what that is yet :)

Sorry, no. I'm not working on anything like that. Just fixed the
missing-unit-suffix bug. (Though the distance should really be
in meters internally, not nm.)

I don't agree with Lee's suggestion to use the tail as reference
point in all FDMs. That's abusing the FDMs internal reference
system. Unfortunately, we don't have any information about the
location of the gear or other dimensions in the property tree.
What comes closest is <chase-distance-m>, which is why this is
abused for guessing the aircraft size in fly-by-view. But it's
often set badly, especially in bigger aircraft. (We could probably
ask the scenegraph for the bounding box, but that wouldn't help
much for positioning on the runway.)

The simplest solution would be to allow defining an offset that's
by default 0, and let fgfs add that to the reference point for
positioning.

m.