* alexis bory -- Tuesday 27 May 2008:
> there is an issue with <texture-path> tags which can not be assigned
> on the fly.
[...]
> The best would be to make the existing and very efficient
> aircraft.livery() able to work with a <texture-path> tag OR with with
> the currently available <texture> tag.

<texture-path> has the disadvantage that you have to have complete
texture sets. You don't just duplicate the livery, but also textures
that look the same in all variants, which is a waste of space IMHO.

What's wrong with using a "material" animation for all textures that
you want to switch? They are really simple:

    <animation>
        <type>material</type>
        <object-name>fuselage</object-name>
        <texture-prop>foo/textures/fuselage</texture-prop>
    </animation>

Then writing a texture name to that property switches the texture:

  setprop("foo/textures/fuselage", "../../../Models/Fauna/cow.rgb");

You can do that for as many/few objects as you like. And aircraft.livery()
helps with doing that automatically from livery *.xml files and via MP.
But that's just an offer -- you can do your own livery handling.

The bo105, for example, only switches rotor textures for now. Later
it will also switch the fuselage texture. (Actually, it does already on
my disk. :-) That way I can not only switch textures, but other details
as well, such as weapons, wire cutter, helmet colors etc. And that over MP.

I don't really see a need for runtime switchable <texture-path>s.

m.