On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 12:11 -0700, John Denker wrote:
> On 08/17/2008 10:01 AM, Ron Jensen wrote:

> >> and the decision was made
> >> not to include it in the main code base.
>
> There was no consensus on that point.

The fact that the code is not there speaks for itself.

> >> The <bias> tag was added as
> >> the fix for this "problem".
>
> There was no consensus that the <bias> tag made much sense.  Here is
> a good summary of the discussion:
>

> On 03/09/2007 01:18 PM, Jim Wilson wrote:
> > Hi Everybody,
> >

> > Just to clarify, I wrote the textranslate and texrotate animations
> > (they are animations) while doing the displays for the 747.  They are
> > for sliding and rotating texture mappings on an 3D object, and have
> > nothing per se to do with digits.  The first problem I was trying to
> > solve was sliding the ASI and Altitude tapes on the PFD.  Then it was
> > the rose animation.
> >
> > The problem of producing the alpha and digital displays (it was never
> > about "numbers") had been dogging me, and in the end I never got
> > around to really solving the issue.  It just so happend that I was
> > able to use the texture translation for placing numeric values by
> > creating a texture that had a bunch of digits and sliding it around.
> > By adding the step parameter I was able to make it either scroll
> > smoothly like the altitude value or just snap the digit in place as
> > on most digital displays.  IIRC the IAS display also has a sort of
> > odometer "drum" behavior even though it is a flat electronic display.
> > Note that the animations were also used for displaying some
> > alphanumeric NAV data.
> >
> > Essentially, I'm saying that Andy was right.  Also, there really was
> > no intention to handle fractional numeric values or digits for that
> > matter.  It just happened that other modelers picked up on the
> > technique, as there was no other method available,  and it went quite
> > a bit farther than was ever intended.
> >
> > In that context, the addition of the bias tag doesn't really make a
> > whole lot of sense, but if it helps someone out, that's fine.  These
> > functions are a useful way to do all kinds of things with sliding and
> > rotating textures,  but they are a very cumbersome way of doing
> > alphanumeric data displays.
>
> I agree with Jim Wilson and Andy Ross that the <bias> tag doesn't
> make a whole lot of sense.  If you want to use it, go ahead, but
> don't pretend it "fixes" the problem ... and don't use it as a
> pretext for derailing efforts to really fix the problem.

I have never disagreed that we are overloading the textranslate function
into an area it wasn't designed for.  That is why I implemented a tag as
opposed to hard-coding a similar solution which is what is currently
done in the _Sport Model_.  Jim above gives his approval of it and Andy
committed it.  Even if they couldn't see a need, we now have functional
3D radio displays using this tag in several aircraft, and textranslate
functions that worked with out it continue to work without it.

> The only thing that really makes sense is to implement a set of
> formatting directives that is actually suitable for digits.
>  *) This will make the code for digit displays much much more
>   compact.  Writing the code will be less laborious and less
>   error-prone.

If this code is in the _Sport Model_ I am in favor of pulling it into
CVS head.

>  *) Then textranslate can be restricted to its intended purpose,
>   namely tapes and drums.
>  *) Beware that real instruments /round/ some things and then
>   /truncate/ other things, so a one-size-fits-all approach will
>   not work, as I pointed out a year and a half ago.  The formatting
>   directives will need to include some things that are documented
>   to do rounding (such as sprintf) and some things that are documented
>   to do truncation (such as substr).

Thank you for another lesson in avionics and computer science 101.