On 08/20/2008 04:44 AM, James Turner wrote:

> ... the
> threshold and the 'other end' point (sorry, there must be a better
> piece of terminology than that),

Standard terminology gives you a couple of options:

 A) For a given runway, we have
  -- the arrival end, and
  -- the departure end.

 B) For a given runway, we have
  -- that runway itself, and
  -- the reciprocal runway.

In the context of the active runway, there is a preference for option (A),
for obvious reasons.  In other contexts, for instance a discussion of
displaced thresholds, option (B) would make more sense.

> there's these displaced threshold and ...
> Should I be checking them when computing my threshold point?

In a word, yes.

Officially there is only one threshold.  If there is a displaced threshold,
it is displaced relative to the beginning of the runway;  it is not displaced
relative to some "other" threshold.  Reference:

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/PCG/T.HTM

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/PCG/D.HTM