Curtis Olson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Martin Spott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     >From my point of view this is not the correct conclusion. Instead, I
>     simply assume that it doesn't make any difference wether I complain or
>     not. So I remain looking at the regular error messages from the mirror
>     jobs and waiting until the machine is back in service  :-)
>

> I appreciate your perspective. :-)
>

>     Curt, apparently you insist on getting things wrong.
>     Yes, I do prefer using GIT and I agree with _everything_ that Melchior
>     has been adding to this discussion (including him taking back the
>     paragraph about disk usage). But this is _not_ the point !!
>
>     In fact we didn't have a _single_ !! person stating that MSysGit "does
>     not work". There was a sole person claiming that he didn't get it to
>     work, but was uncertain wether he knew how to use it properly. Period.
>     The remaining statements concerning GIT on Windows have been nothing
>     but guesses and assumptions (better known as "FUD") and I expect an
>     experienced project coordinator being able to tell the difference.
>

> When I researched the topic, I saw over and over again that the
> biggest knock against git is that it does not have good support for
> windows.  That has been repeated on this list by more than just me.  I
> have not tested it personally on windows, but it appears that neither
> have you.  Just because I saw something on the web, doesn't mean it's
> true, but there does seem to be a general web consensus here, and you
> have given no information that can be used to disprove this web consensus.
>

>     _This_ is the point which sheds an ugly light onto the whole topic.
>
>     Adding to that, you have still failed to deliver a reason (aside from
>     spreading "FUD") why the project should _not_ have _one_ official GIT
>     mirror of the existing CVS (or maybe SVN) repositories - no matter
>     who's going to run it in the end. In the end, you're wasting developer
>     resources by thwarting the efficiency of not all but at least some of
>     the involved people and you don't have a single point.
>
>     This is really getting somewhat problematic.
>

> Until someone from our project actually tries this on a windows system
> (possibly you could even test it?) then we are all apparently
> spreading FUD including you.  If you have not tested git on windows
> and have not found a nice front end, then you cannot say for sure that
> it works and works well (which is important in the face of all the web
> based reports that it doesn't work or doesn't work well or easily.)
> If our windows developers have also not tested it, then they cannot
> say for sure that it does or does not work.  In the mean time, we know
> that SVN does work pretty good.  I'm sorry you are so frustrated by
> this issue, but I would appreciate if you keep your comments fair and
> professional. :-(
>
> Curt.
> --
> [...]
I'll give msysgit a try. Are there known issues with it that I should be
looking for?

Also, timoore indicated on IRC that msysgit does work, but that
TortoiseCVS/SVN users might find "things that are surprising or less
convenient". jentron did some testing and noted that, by default,
msysgit converts unix2dos/dos2unix automatically.  That looks like a
dangerous default setting to me. I hesitate to trust it to not screw
something up.

Maybe the biggest issue is that git's UI isn't Windowsy enough? Do we
have any windows TortoiseCVS users/contributors who wouldn't be able to
cope with a command line or otherwise foreign UI?