I agree with what Jon has said--the pitch angle with the aircraft on the
ground should be 5 degrees. If this is modeled, I don't think there's
any other significant issue.

With regards to the pitch angle at cruise, I simply cannot see how you'd
ever model that exactly. First of all, it is dependent upon several
things: Airspeed, density altitude, aircraft loading and the general
rigging of the aircraft, just to name a few. I have flown two nearly
identical aircraft (both 172's) and can tell you that they each fly
slightly differently--and the picture out the window is not exactly the
same in both aircraft. Certainly the horizon intersects the side of the
cowling (from the pilot's perspective) at about the same spot, but it
isn't exact. And without looking at the XML properties for the 172P I
cannot say; but where is the CG located for the current emulation? Is
the aircraft modeled at maximum gross weight, or with only the
pilot--and how heavy is the pilot? I am not trying to say that the
picture out the window changes drastically with variations in loading,
but it certainly *does* change somewhat. But more importantly however is
that the control force required to maintain flight stability changes, as
does the trim requiring to relieve those control forces. But if the
emulation can be loaded in similar fashion to the real aircraft, with
similar results (airspeed and power settings), then I submit that it's
probably as close as you're ever going to get.

The point here is that I do not believe there is any ONE right answer.
If the emulation "flies" like the actual aircraft, then all is good. For
example, if full throttle in the emulation gives the same approximate
airspeed as in the real aircraft (about 115-120 knots, if memory
serves); if a power setting of about 1900-2000rpm allows one to maintain
an altitude of about 1500-2000 feet MSL at 90 knots; and if 1500-1600
RPM allows me to fly a 3-degree glideslope at about 90 knots with 10
degrees of flaps...then all is good. How much better can it get? (Having
said this, I do think that the default 172P model in FG needs property
value tweaks to increase realism; but that cannot be done to an accurate
degree until a proper set of 3-axis flight controls are configured to
the emulation. A joystick is simply not accurate enough to make the
kinds of hair-splitting determinations we're talking about here, IMHO.)

Incidentally, I did make contact with a friend that is sending me a copy
of the entire set of drawings included in the 172P service manual. If
they are of value and are of good quality, I will gladly scan them and
post them for review.

TB