On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 05:23:09 -0500, Jon wrote in message
<00a201c9a6ea$60534dc0$20f9e9...@net>:

> There are some things we need to know that aren't described below.
> Was the FlightGear source modified? If not, then they would be
> distributing an existing FlightGear that anyone can download. All
> they need do is mention where FlightGear source can be obtained.

..they _also_ need to offer the source themselves, say on an
ark load of clay tablets to encourage more modern ways. ;o)

> If they have modified source code to FlightGear, then they should make
> the source code available (if requested) to anyone who asks.

..not if they keep it all in-house and _never_
distribute|sell|give|convey|transfer|etc it.
this may have been an original intention, _but_
once a demo is being offered, the sources must
follow that offer.
Best way is put it on the same media.

> That doesn't mean anyone would want it.

..correct, however the offer must still be made to comply to the
license.

> I also would not have a problem with source code to a demo NOT being
> released if the intent was to keep (at this time) potentially
> dysfunctional code from escaping into the wild, as long as the
> eventual production code was made available, if requested, and if
> potential customers were made aware of that right to the source code.

..another slippery slope there, the point with the GPL requirements
of full sources and relevant build scripts, is securing the copyrights,
not the functionality of the code.

> You've got to ask, really, is FlightGear made to be used or not? Is a
> usage good for the long term, or not? How persnickety do you really
> want to get?

..enough to make sure we never need to dodge 6 years
of SCO type litigation seen at http://groklaw.net/ .

> As we've discussed before, money is not the issue, but
> whether the customer is aware of the fact that the source code is
> available (and perhaps that the program can be downloaded freely from
> the FlightGear web site).
>

> Is FlightGear GPL or LGPL?

..GPLv2-and-Later, some bits may be GPLv2-only, and the only good
reason to stop at v2, is the ability to deny a violator a license
for life, for everything else, GPLv3 gives us better protection.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: