> You could have saved yourself a lot of work by posting a question
> before writing all this code.

I don't mind that, because it was just fun to do that. And I wasn't
going to do a temperature model in the first place, but somehow ended
up doing that :)

> The code to do all this has existed for years.  A nice table-driven
> implementation.  It does this and more (notably linking the _pressure_
> versus height dependence to the temperature).  Pressure is kinda
> important for realistic altimetry, engine performance, et cetera.
> Let me know if you are interested in this.

If you mean the table at the top of environment.cxx, yeah I noticed
it. And I use it like before up to 35000ft. I don't know what was the
reason to not use it over that altitude for temperature, it seems to
be quite nice up to 100000ft. See
http://users.tkk.fi/~lapelto2/fgfs_temp_graph.jpg . I also notice that
it is used to model pressure at all altitudes. Or do you have some
other table system than that?

I was mostly doing this to add the latitude dependency to the
temperature curves. I'm sure no one would notice that when flying, but
it seemed like a nice thing to do.

In any case, the current -56 degC at altitudes over 38000 is horrible,
and we should either model using the table or something similar to my
system, depending on the accuracy wanted. I don't know if any aircraft
can/should fly in those high altitudes, and if their modeling takes
temperature into account.

Lauri
--
Lauri Peltonen