On Wednesday 08 April 2009 20:10:48 Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> - turn off the traffic manager!  (I'm sure you aren't just wasting
>   cycles there, and there just *is* a lot to do. That's not meant
>   as criticism!)

The actual drop in frame rate observed by adding lots of traffic lies
somewhere in the graphics code, as far as I can tell. The code involved in
animating the traffic already starts running as soon as you get within approx
100 nm of the AI model in question. But, you won't notice a significant drop
in performance until you actually start getting into a range where the traffic
actually becomes _visible_. It looks like this is something to do with culling
/ bounding boxes, or paging in objects. Most performance drops usually happen
when you turn toward an area containing a lot of visible code. I've tested
this on several systems, including some with relatively modest CPUs, and the
pattern is more or less the same.

Given that, you can probably imaging that I, for one, would welcome any
improvement in _rendering efficiency_ possible.

If you really think the traffic manager code is inefficient: Please prove it
instead of passing around user experiences that I don't believe are based on
any scientific investigations.

Cheers,
Durk