Let me rephrase that as I'm confused myself on the re-read :)

The fgfs binary automatically changes FGROOT to $FGROOT/data if it
doesn't find the data in the $FGROOT folder where it belongs.

Specifically it is looking for $FGROOT/version.  It has always
automatically changed to $FGROOT to $FGROOT/data if $FGROOT/version is
not found and  $FGROOT/data/version is.  Now it also issues the warning
so you can permanently fix $FGROOT to make some of the helper tools
function.  This is more useful to those of us who set $FGROOT in
our .bashrc files.

Ron