Wilson<j...@kelcoindustries.com> wrote:
> > For those who are modeling and are not bothering with setting
> > the crease value now (and letting it default to 30) I would
> > strongly recommend removing all the lines from the ac files
> > that contain the word crease before committing them to CVS.   I
> > think you will really enjoy the improved appearance of your
> > work.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Jim
>
> I've used the crease setting to get a very passable rounded
> appearances on surfaces like landing gear struts using
> surprisingly low polygon counts. A tube with a cross section
> having only 8 vertices can give very pleasing results after you
> play with the crease setting a bit, to values like Vivian
> suggests. The application can have considerable effect on polygon
> counts. I learned this trick from examination of the A-10 model
> done by Lee Elliott I believe.
>
> -Gary, aka Buckaroo on MP

I'm pretty sure that the A-10 was pre-crease, in fact I'm certain it
was - the A-10 was only the second or third model I'd done for FG.

The main thing I remember about the A-10 model was that I decided to
use a high poly circumference for the engine nacelles so that they
didn't look polygonal from the front or rear - I was especially
thinking about how it would look in the chase views.  I could have
used a much lower poly circumference for the nacelles and the
phong-shading would have smoothed the nacelles when looking at them
from the sides but then their outline would have still looked
polygonal in the chase views.

In any case, Alexis Bory has vastly improved just about everything
on the A-10 since I initially produced it, so any good tricks
you've learned from the A-10 should perhaps be credited more to
Alexis than myself.

LeeE