As I mentioned before , I've been looking for the missing player in the
pilot list and model view.
If I comment out the 2 lines below "foreach"  , in multiplayer.nas at line
374 ...

        foreach (var n; props.globals.getNode("ai/models",
1).getChildren("multiplayer")) {
            #if (!n.getNode("valid", 1).getValue())
            #   continue;

... I then get the correct <num-players>  in /ai/models, and I can now step
through ALL the players in "model view" ,
and they all appear in the pilot list.
I don't consider this a fix since I dont know why the above lines would
cause a problem,but it's a start.
Cheers