I had looked at some research papers at that time, which were about
estimating visibility from other, measurable factors. I stopped when
Thomas announced his solution. My original idea was a simple formula,
based on the idea that:

 - visibility is derived from humidity (high humidity -> low visibility
   due to water drops)
 - higher temperature decreases visibility (molecule movements)
 - higher wind speeds decrease visibility (more dust blown up)
 - higher AGL increases visibility (no dust)
 - smog was hard to estimate, as there was no reliable way to find out
   if there are bigger cities nearby (checking for distance of next
   airport with concrete runway of a certain minimum length might
   work); ground material might have an influence, but isn't very
   reliable

All that would have to consider that METAR is weather at station level.

This wouldn't have to be very accurate. Simple variability was already
an improvement, while randomness was not acceptable (same weather should
yield same visibility for MP or sync'ed machines).

* Peter Brown -- Sunday 20 December 2009:
> Of the other hand its a way to "weed out" the gamer...

One of FlightGear's main goals is realism, not to weed out *any* kind
of user. Maybe you are wrong here?!

m.