On 02/21/2010 01:25 PM, Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> I think you may be looking at an out-of-date version of
> the getstart manual.

I don't think so.  "cvs up" says my copy is already up to
date.  The log includes updates through 28 Jan 2010.  The
passages I quoted earlier were quoted from this version.

In order to compile getstart.pdf from sources required 16
patches, and even after that it compiles with 96 errors and
32 warnings, but it does compile and I do look at it.

> A while ago I went through and re-documented the command-line
> options.

Yes, thanks for that.

> for the --fdm option, we now have the following text:
>
> "Select the core flight model. Options are jsb, larcsim, yasim,
> magic, balloon, external, pipe, ada, null. This option can normally
> be ignored, as the -aircraft option will set the FDM correctly."
>
> I think that is sufficient for most users.

That is unlikely to be sufficient for any user who wants to
actually _use_ those options.

Just because something is allowed by the command-line syntax
checker doesn't mean it actually works.  Most of the FDM
sub-options don't actually work, and were probably never intended
to work.

The users would be better off if we either
 a) change the code to conform to the documentation, which seems
  unlikely, or
 b) change the documentation to conform to what the code actually
  does.

I checked what happens when the aforementioned FDMs are applied
to the default c172p:

ada = aircraft, as initialized, is sunk into the ground up to
      the top of the cowling;  none of the primary flight
      controls work.

balloon = not expected to be very useful;  in fact the aircraft,
      as initialized, is sunk into the ground completely, and
      none of the primary flight controls work.

external = synonym for null

jsb = the default, so the option is a no-op

larcsim = segfault

magic = works the way its author intended.  Not as useful as fdm=ufo

null = works, useful, especially after I patched the FDM code and
       patched the aircraft configuration and patched the playback
       protocol.

pipe = binary protocol;  semantics not documented in getstart.pdf or
       anywhere in Docs/*

yasim = error exit:
        "Unexpected tag 'fdm_config' found in YASim aircraft description"
        "Program exited with code 01."