I've /probably/ done the most extensive amount of research into this at the
moment, some key points:

1) If we want or need legal representation, please visit
http://www.softwarefreedom.org/

I have already contacted them, so please don't send them a bunch of emails
about FlightProSim.

2) FlightProSim has at least one violation of the GPL2 because they distribute
the source code on their website; they need to either distribute the source
code with their product or provide a written offer for up to three years under
subsection 3b of the GPL.

3) FPS may be in further violation of the GPL under section 2a, which states
the modified files must contain notices they were modified from the original
FlightGear source code. I have not done this investigation.

4) I have strongly recommended in the past that FGRun or FGFS contain some sort
of copyright statement. However, my suggestion was dismissed. JUST BECAUSE YOU
CONTRIBUTE TO FLIGHTGEAR DOES NOT MEAN YOU FORFEIT YOUR COPYRIGHT.

So let me make this suggestion again.

On the splash screen, or somewhere on the launcher, or under the "about" menu,
include the following text:

"FlightGear is copyright by its respective contributors. Please refer to the
source code for the copyright to specific components of the software.

You may redistribute FlightGear under the terms of the GPL version 2.
FlightGear comes with absolutely no warranties."

Perhaps the reason this suggestion was dismissed so readily is that I suggested
that FlightGear become one copyright holder by aggregating the copyrights of
the contributors. However, the reason I believe adding this text to be
important is:

1) Any future distributors cannot obfuscate this copyright or else they are in
violation of the GPLv2 section 1;

2) If they do obfuscate the copyright, they must also edit the file to say they
obfuscated the copyright under the GPLv2 section 2a to be compliant, which is
sort-of beside the point;

3) It makes it easy to check to see if there's been a GPL violation even if
everything else appears okay, because the copyright appears on something other
than the source code.

Even just adding text such as "www.flightgear.org" to the splash screen would
require someone who modifies and redistributes the program to comply with 1)
and 2) in the second-list set out above if they wished to disguise the program
as being FlightGear. Now, there ARE some people who legitimately use FlightGear
who need to may wish to disguise the fact the program is FlightGear - I'm
thinking airplane simulators - but they can easily comply with the GPL by
remarking how they modified the file from the original FlightGear version.

Finally, we should be seeking to make violators comply with the GPL, not shut
them down, even if they're distributing our program for profit. If it's
GPL-compliant, this still helps us, even if someone is making money off our
work.

Now, some opinion:

In my opinion Aircraft and scenery models in the base package need to remain
GPL, as this allows for easier license management. If you don't want other
people profiting off your work, release your add-on as a third party add-on
under a different license. I'm sure there are people who legitimately make
money as a direct result of FlightGear, and because of the GPL, you may even be
able to "dishonestly" make some money off of the product, but if you're
compliant we can't constrict your right to do so,

Cheers
John