Hello all -

My previous email may have been lost in the fray so I'd just like to float my
recommendation again.

If you have contributed code, please check to make sure your copyright, and the
date, is in the header for the source code you have contributed.

This will make it easier for us to track if there has been a copyright and GPL
violation. If someone modifies a copyrighted file AND distributes that file IN
VIOLATION OF the GPL version 2, then the person or people who hold the
copyright on that file can force compliance.

However, I also believe we should put a copyright statement within the
executables of FlightGear which we distribute - we should have a statement
saying FlightGear is copyrighted by its contributors - please see the source
code for information. (Perhaps several statements, in the console and under the
menu for instance.)

Just because we release the software and the components of the software under
the GPL does not necessarily mean the contributors forfeit their copyright on
the work.

By including copyright information within the essence of our product
components, we thereby make it more difficult for resellers to rebrand and
resell our product (because they can't just remove the copyright without being
in violation of the GPL - and if they do they have to state how they modified
the file from the original copy in the source code, AND distribute that source
code).

At the same time, we maintain the fact the copyright is held by the individual
contributors, which was important to people the last time around. This also
does not constrict the freedom of the software under the GPL and therefore I
would strongly recommend adding this into the software.

If people are opposed to this for whatever reason, a "softer" suggestion would
be including an About menu with version information in each version, say
"FlightGear version 2.0.0 release date X/X/2010".

Since this doesn't include a copyright, though, anyone can remove it as long as
they state they removed it within the source code of the product; and since the
people likely to be negatively affected by someone reselling our product as-is
aren't going to be looking at the source code, I strongly recommend the
copyright components,

Cheers
John