On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 12:32 +0000, Alan Teeder wrote:
> [...]

I have to agree with both of you.  At initialization the aircraft is not
perfectly positioned in respect to the ground so it gets dropped/lifted
by the ground contacts.  However, if the ground contacts are properly
set these reactions will be minimal.

Its really hard to make a specific recommendation without seeing the FDM
in question, or at least a minimal FDM that demonstrates the problem.

> If I start and switch immediately to  rear view, the gear extends, and when
> it reaches "down" the plane is thrown upwards!

By design a gear doesn't support weight until it reaches >0.99 of
extension.  This was done so the gear would collapse rapidly if it was
retracted on the ground.

  In FGLGear code the gear is initialized to "down"
  In Aircraft/controls.cxx gear is initialized to "down"
  In preferences.xml gear is initialized to "down"

As near as I can tell the gear is always "down" on the c182rg model
during initialization.  I verified this by adding a line to
source/src/FDM/JSBSim/models/FGLGear.cpp FGLGear::GetBodyForces

 if (t<30.) cout << "Gear is down : "<<GearDown <<endl;

Cheers,
Ron