Indeed.  We are currently running atmosphere code written by John Denker, et
al, that takes lapse rate into account.  The reason pressure-sea-level-inhg
doesn't match the altimeter setting is because it doesn't in real life.   The
altimeter setting number is chosen so the altimeter reads the field elevation
when on the field.  As David points out, if the sea-level temperature is not
15 degC.  In your example[1]:

 2010/05/29 15:54 KIND 291554Z 36004KT 10SM SCT250 27/18 A2994 RMK

The local temperature is 27 degC (METAR) and local pressure is 28.9367
(/environment).  KNID is 797 ft. MSL [2] and I assume your tower is 50 feet
high, so local altitude is 847 ft.  The equation for altimeter setting (QNH)
is:

 QNH =  (local_pressure^0.1903 + 1.313e−5•local_elevation)^(1/0.1903) [3]

So:

 29.84 = (28.94^0.1903 + 1.313e−5•847)^(1/0.1903)

If you were in the UFO and descended to sea-level you should
see /environment/pressure-inhg == /environment/sea-level-pressure-inhg
when /position/altitude-ft == 0

Thanks,
Ron

[1] http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll209/rmsjr1974/altimeter-discrep.jpg