> The files config.h-msvc8 and config.h-msvc90 are necessary for a windows
> build but are now in .gitignore making them inaccessible.
>
> Natively windows has no method to generate these files from the .in files,
> although this is probably possible by installing Perl, and GNU versions  of
> autoconf and automake. - and then learning how to use them !
>
> Could they be put back into the normal distribution path?
It was me, who put them into gitignore because these files are created from
the respective *.in files during the build.
Maybe I am wrong, but if these files are created from some other sources, they
don't belong under source control but the source files do.

If I understand the current setup correctly, a run of autogen.sh and configure
is required to create the config.h-msvcxx files from the .in files before a
windows build can run.

I think it is very unfortunate that some *nix system has to run a configure
script to generate the files needed for a windows build, put them into the
source control system to be accessible for windows users.

Maybe Frederic can chime in here with a better idea of how to solve this?

Torsten