On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Chris Baines <cbain...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking in to this further, I think the file in question is xmlparse.c .

I think xmltok.c

> I can't find the
> offending piece of code in the simgear version probably because it is
> just so old and thus very different to the current official version.
> This also means that I can't patch it directly without someones
> guidance. Does anyone know if this bug applies to the version of
> xmlparse.c included in simgear?

Yes, our xml parser seems to have similar vulnerability. I doubt it is
a terribly important issue, though.

Anyway, at least one of the problematic locations is the utf8_toUtf16
function. Notice how it uses equality test when checking for
end-of-buffer, while in the loop body it sometimes increments the
pointer by more than one, thus possibly failing to detect
end-of-buffer. It also merrily reads from[1] and from[2] without
ensuring those fall inside the buffer.

--
Csaba/Jester