Alan Teeder wrote

> > I am not seeing the slowdown.  I just ran a simple script that updates
> > simgear, flightgear source, and fgdata.  I would estimate that the "git
> > pull origin" run in fgdata took about 3 minutes.  This performance has
> > been typical for me.  I  ran System Monitor (F12) during the fgdata pull
> > and the data rate was between 96 and 100 KB/s and the memory usage was
> > constant.  I connect via Earthlink dsl.
> >
> > Dave P.
>
> Dave
>
> >From earlier posts I surmise that you have a 64bit Linux box.
> I have an old single processor XP box (limited to 1 GB memory by the
> motherboard) and a newer dual-core laptop. These run Xp and Vista
> respectively. Not in the same league as yours :-(
>

> My searching on the net suggests that the Windows version of Git is not as
> fast as the Linux original. The net result is that Git on Windows needs a
> higher spec processor than flightgear does when used with a large and
> frequently changing set of data such as fgdata.
>
> During "pull origin" Git´s CPU usage goes to 100% (or 50% on the dual core
> box)  and Gits´s memory increases to over 100M, but there is negligible
> net
> usage.  I have let it run for 3 hours with no sign of any completion. My
> guess is that Windows Git is having trouble sorting out all the changes
> and
> updating its internal databases.

Yes, I'm seeing this on a Core2Quad - all cores go to 100% and then nothing.
However, good old Git-bash shell will work from the command line. Not really
21st Century, but it will let you do most anything you want. This is not
inconsistent with Dave P observations, because I guess his script uses shell
commands stuff.

I think we might have predicted something like this happening when we could
only clone fgdata in the first place by downloading it in 2 sections. That's
another fine mess we have gotten ourselves into!

Never mind, we'll get it sorted (and perhaps shadows at the same time) :-)

Vivian