On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 22:27:55 +0800, Deborah wrote in message
<aanlktikz6lrabrhpkhgxyza0d=ag8gzzjzre++ax1...@mail.gmail.com>:

> Hi guys,
>
> This is a *second* email in case the first one with the mathematical
> models do not get through:

..try put your math models on a web site and post your link here.

> I've previously posted on the FG forum but was directed here by
> Hooray in hopes of finding more immediate here :)
> Just a quick introduction for you guys who probably just heard from
> me for the first time: I am a final year student who is doing her
> Final Year Project on incorporating wind shear conditions on Flight
> Gear.

..sweet. ;o)  Ground effect too?

> I am currently using a Windows 7 PC

..hum.

> , some of specifications
> include:
>
> 1) Intel (R) core i5 CPU @ 3.2GHz

..8 sweet wee penguins, if you boot
any decent Live CD|dvd|USB. ;o)

> 2) 4GB RAM
> 3) 64 bit OS
> 4) ATI Radeon Graphics Card (1GB)

..which card?  You only need it for your FG flight etc tests,
not to build or edit FG.
Which again means you can build FG on whatever Cray, cluster
or what-have-you FG-build machinery _while_ you test-fly your
latest FG builds, you probably wanna compare your tests.

> I've currently installed Flight Gear, am trying to start the first
> building process which I am following instructions from
> http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Building_FlightGear_-_Windows

..much of this is _old_dated_ news, unless you want to build FG-0.9.
You _probably_ want to build FG straight out of Git, this is "where
the action is", and we have a few FG developers on "FG on Windows."
Latest boost is 1.44.0, latest boost in Debian is 1.42, well worth
going with the latest boost etc.

> Have installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express and have followed
> all the instructions on the site above (including installing Git and
> Tortoise SVN), everything went okay until I reached the part that
> says "Getting SVN headers" and "Getting OpenSceneGraph"
>
> "Getting SVN headers": I am unsure as to where to find that library
> the site mentions, in order to extract and include into the 3rd party
> folder "Getting OpenSceneGraph": I tried linking a folder named
> "OpenSceneGraph" in my FG root directory to the URL specified but
> keep getting a rejection warning saying
>
> > Error: Can't create directory 'C:\Program Files
> > (x86)\FlightGear\OpenSceneGraph\.svn':
> > Error: Access is denied.

.._can_ you access this file???  _Is_ it there?
If it's there, chk your file attributes for file
ownership etc, the build is clearly expecting to
find _something_ there, and " touch $filename "
_sometimes_ works by creating an empty file which
_might_ change the error message on your next try.

..it could also be trying to access hardware in a
way Microsoft or W7 "think is wrong", in some new
way to MSVS2010E, see my WAG disclaimer below.

..wild ass guess disclaimer: I have built software
_only_ on Debian Sid.

> I'm kinda at my wits end, being really new to this software developing
> process but I need to finish my project probably by February next
> year. And this is only the beginning. I would really appreciate any
> form of help or suggestions as to how I can go about doing this in
> another, hopefully simpler way.

..your hardware looks ok, I only see a problem with your choice of
OS and tool suite vendor and their (overt and covert) policies on
GPL licensed projects, and, what I guess is your lack of experience
with GNU/Linux tools, and, your deadline, you probably don't want
to delay it for a year or so "to learn linux" to the level I guess
you now know MSW7.

..Wintendo95 cost me 2 years worth of R&D and fancy degree thesis
work on thermochemical gasification, so I'm blank on that and their
later shit.  I went the GNU way with SuSE-5.2, then Red Hat-5.2
thru 9.3, I'm now on Debian Sid "Experimental" since Woody.

..Ubuntu-10.10 is _probably_ where you wanna start if you come straight
or freshly new burnt from the Microsoft world, softer start than Debian,
and far less tools to go _wildly_ confused about trying to learn to
choose from, I hear freedom of choice is quite a challenge for freedom
newbies. ;o)

..I wouldn't be surprised to learn somebody has made a GUI tool
suite "SDK" "that works like Microsoft's", nor would I know it
if I ever saw it, I simply don't know Microsoft's tools. ;o)

..Ubuntu is easily upgraded to Debian by simply replacing Ubuntu's
mirror urls with Debian's in the /etc/apt tree and simply issuing
"aptitude update &&aptitude dist-upgrade", beware of the freedom. ;o)

> I really appreciate the help and even just reading this email, and I
> really hope to hear from you guys soon! :) Many advance thanks! :)

..well, I only offer ideas.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: