I have a git question.

I'm trying to "git push" a new joystick config someone sent me.  When I run
git push I get the following message:

$ git push
To g...@gitorious.org:fg/fgdata.git
 ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'g...@gitorious.org:fg/fgdata.git'
To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.  See the
'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.

Make sense, so next I run "git pull" and get the following message:

$ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 31, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (17/17), done.
>From gitorious.org:fg/fgdata
   aaef799..4affc2c  master     -> origin/master
error: Your local changes to 'Aircraft/f-14b/Nasal/SAS.nas' would be
overwritten by merge.  Aborting.
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.

Ok, I remember tweaking the file Aircraft/f-14b/Nasal/SAS.nas a few weeks
ago, and in the mean time I've done a "git stash" and "git stash apply" to
get around this problem before.  I could probably do it again.

But here's my question.  Now that I've done the git stash and git stash
apply commands, when I run git diff, I don't see my local differences.  Is a
git stash apply similar to a git commit in that it actually commits my local
edits to my local repository.

When I'm just fiddling around, I'd prefer some times to just carry my edits
forward as non-committed edits so it's easy to see what I've fiddled with
and can clean things up if I no longer need or want my local tweaks.

What's the best way now to see what my local changes are after doing a git
stash apply?  What is the best way to carry local experimental edits forward
while I'm still experimenting and aren't sure if I want to keep them?

Please explain in simple language. :-)

Thanks,

Curt.
--