Thanks guys I'll look through those examples...
The reason I need to split the altitude is the PFD display scrolls
less than 100 values in steps of 10 and in smaller text. 100 and
greater digits are larger non scrolling text ... easy to do with
textures and textranslate, but I'm attempting a 3d text only version
if possible. The zero and space padding works here , and precision
below the decimal point.
I still suspect I,ve got an error further up the xml file , just can't see it.