> I had been experimenting with adding cockpit controls to FlightGear
 > with the help of python. Unfortunately other things have gotten in the
 > way.. such as work and better weather for being outdoors!
 >
 > I gave up on the telnet interface and went down the Generic IO path.
 > My code can be found at
 > https://github.com/georgepatterson/Flightgear-Console so feel free to
 > grab what you like from that. Feel free to drop me a line off list if
 > you get stuck.

Thank you George for the hint, I will look into it.

And I have a straight question for you: why did you abandon Telnet in
favour of the generic io?

You see, I'm investigating about the various approaches before digging
into the complex stuff, I'd like to know what made other people decide
for some strategy instead of another, much more than the real code
needed to do that.