On 18.03.2011 17:50, HB-GRAL wrote:
> Today I checked the current fgdata/Aircraft folder for sizes. It’s about
> 4,3 GB here. Nice.
>
> Some of this files are .gz already, when I .gz the rest I get another
> 100 MB, or in other words I get two MiG-15 or another p51d.

Nice statistics! Maybe this motivates some of us to be a bit more
considerate before committing something to the repo.

However, remember that dropping any file from the repository wouldn't
help at all now: a git repository never shrinks - it can only grow...
It's an especially bad idea to drop files and resubmit a
smaller/compressed version in a futile attempt to shrink the repository.
git contains a complete history of every file. If you dropped files and
resubmitted a smaller version, the local fgdata directories may at first
appear smaller - but if you checked the total size (that is including
the hidden ".git" folders) you'll see that the total size was actually
increased...

And another warning: the complete history issue also affects personal
git branches on gitorious. So, if an a/c designer adds 19 versions of an
image file to his private branch and then placed a "merge request" to
fgdata/master - then the merge will actually copy the history of all 19
file versions to the master branch - even the history of files which
were already dropped on the private branch. So, in such cases it's a
good idea to not actually "git merge" the complete personal branch to
our "master" - but to simply take a copy of the latest version of the
a/c files and to submit them to "master" using a fresh commit (I think
that's what our fgdata-merge-committers do anyway - at least I hope
so...). Or maybe any git expert knew if there was a
git-merge-without-history command?

Indeed, fgdata/master is becoming way too big though. But we can only
solve this by splitting our current repository - and then push the
different parts to fresh git repositories. Splitting fgdata was planned
anyway. The new "--fg-aircraft" options was the first step to make this
possible. I'm just not sure what the status of splitting fgdata is though...

cheers,
Thorsten