> The "local weather" menu option is first before the other local weather
> options.  This does open up a dialog box where you do have to create
> clouds
> 1-by-1.  Looking at this, it appears that the intent of this is more for
> debugging.  Maybe it would make sense to move this option over to the
> debugging menu if that is the case?

That's actually a good point and I was about to ask a similar thing for
the release version.

The main use of the 'Local Weather' menu item is development. I use it
when I introduce a new texture to test which cloud spacing, which degree
of randomness and such things a layer composed of these clouds needs to
look natural - once I have the parameters, I code a Nasal call to the same
effect. It's also useful for benchmark tests because it allows to create a
well-defined configuration of clouds. Finally, at some point Patrice Poly
used it when he did some experiments with hires textures as an easy way to
test how the extracted textures look in the scenery.

It doesn't really have user applications or debug value. So my original
suggestion would have been to rename 'Local Weather Tiles' to 'Local
Weather' and to comment out the current 'Local Weather' in the
menubar.xml. The small number of people who may actually need it for
development can then simply edit menubar.xml and have it again, the rest
doesn't need to see it, because it is confusing.

However, if someone sees value in having it in the debug section or
somewhere else, then I suggest to move it.

In addition, I have the strong feeling a good and intuitive gui cannot be
designed by the developer of the underlying code. I've realized a few
times already that I know far too much about the inner workings of the
code to even think of trying some things, which others simply do. So if
anyone has too much time and wants to work on a better gui, please let me
know!

Cheers,

* Thorsten