Hi everyone,

I'd like to share some thoughts with you on how we can improve the replay
system.
Right now only the last minute is recorded at full precision. After that
minute we get a precision of 1 fps. And after 10 minutes we get a precision
of 1 frame per 10 seconds (please correct me. this number may be wrong).
Due to linear interpolation the motion of the plane become jagged (hope you
understand what I mean here).
Also due to the loss of precision fast rotations of the plane look just
incorrect in the replays (reversed direction of the rotation).

FIRST SOLUTION:
Streaming the replay data to the hard disc drive always at full precision.
This is probably the best solution as:
We don't need much RAM to save a whole flight (we just need a stream
buffer).
We get full precision.
We solve the reversed rotaton problem.
We still should use linear interpolation here as it is faster than monotone
hermite spline:

SECOND SOLUTION:
To solve the jagged motion problem I thought of implementing another
interpolator.
The monotone Hermite spline interpolator. It has the benefits that it does
not oscillate in comparison to the Catmull Rom interpolator.
The downside to this solution is that the problem of incorrect (reversed)
rotation cannot be solved.
Also we will need to feed the hermite spline interpolator with 4 replay
frames instead of 2 used in the linear interpolator.

p.s. I also thought that it woud be nice if the nearest tower would be
automatically computed in replays (as it is done in x-plane), so you don't
have to enter the airport code every time.

What do you think?