I have just posted a longer collection of my thoughts and experiments with
what makes a scene (a cloudy sky, a cockpit, a forest,...) credible and
what isn't helpful in the forum (it contains a lot of pictures, so it
simply isn't useful to post it here as well).

If you find either this

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/pics/rain_reflection.jpg

or that

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/pics/haleakala_before.jpg

a bit strange, you may find my writeup interesting, although admittedly
it's lengthy, and I'm quite sure to many here on the list it will not be
exactly news.

Cheers