I've finally managed to find an (in hindsight rather obvious) way to
regionalize textures and have started working on a rice terrace texture to
represent irrigated crops in Asia.

So far, I'm quite happy with the texture, but since so many aerial
screenshots of rice often show clusters of trees, I'd like to include
those as well (also to break the regularity of the texture).

Using

<wood-coverage>300000.0</wood-coverage>
  <wood-size>15000.0</wood-size>
  <tree-density>500.0</tree-density>
  <tree-texture>Textures/Trees/deciduous-summer.png</tree-texture>
  <tree-varieties>8</tree-varieties>
  <tree-range-m alias="/params/forest/tree-range-m"/>
  <tree-height-m>20.0</tree-height-m>
  <tree-width-m>12.0</tree-width-m>

gives me almost what I want - except that I don't actually see
deciduous-summer, I see mixed-summer! It doesn't remotely matter what
<tree-texture> or <tree-varieties> I specify, I get the same output -
although Flightgear responds correctly to changes of other properties in
this section.

Evergreen needle trees look decidedly strange on rice fields!

Is this a bug or an obsolete tag? Where else is the texture sheet for
trees chosen?

Thanks,

* Thorsten

P.S.: For reference, here is the whole <material> declaration I use for
the rice fields

-----

<material>
  <condition>
  <and>
   <equals>
    <property>sim/startup/season</property>
    <value>summer</value>
   </equals>
   <greater-than>
    <property>position/longitude-deg</property>
    <value>60.0</value>
   </greater-than>
  </and>
  </condition>
  <effect>Effects/crop</effect>
  <name>IrrCropPastureCover</name>
  <name>IrrCrop</name>
  <name>Orchard</name>
  <name>Olives</name>
  <name>Vineyard</name>
  <name>Rice</name>
 <texture>Terrain/rice1.png</texture>
  <xsize>2000</xsize>
  <ysize>2000</ysize>
  <light-coverage>2000000.0</light-coverage>
  <solid>1</solid>
  <friction-factor>0.9</friction-factor>
  <rolling-friction>0.3</rolling-friction>
  <bumpiness>0.6</bumpiness>
  <load-resistance>1e30</load-resistance>
  <object-group>
   <range-m>5000</range-m>
   <object>
    <path>Models/Buildings/silo.ac</path>
    <coverage-m2>5000000</coverage-m2>
    <heading-type>random</heading-type>
   </object>
   <object>
    <path>Models/Buildings/red-barn.ac</path>
    <path>Models/Buildings/horse-stable.ac</path>
    <path>Models/Buildings/cow-stable.ac</path>
    <path>Models/Agriculture/farmhouse1.ac</path>
    <path>Models/Agriculture/farmhouse2.ac</path>
    <path>Models/Agriculture/farmhouse3.ac</path>
    <coverage-m2>750000</coverage-m2>
    <heading-type>random</heading-type>
   </object>
  </object-group>
  <!-- Disabled to avoid a tremendous osg performance penalty when
       deleting scenery tiles, caused by tens of thousands of shared
       horse/cow objects. Need a better implementation!
  <object-group>
   <range-m>1000</range-m>
   <object>
    <path>Models/Fauna/cow.ac</path>
    <coverage-m2>100000</coverage-m2>
    <heading-type>random</heading-type>
   </object>
   <object>
    <path>Models/Fauna/horse.ac</path>
    <coverage-m2>300000</coverage-m2>
    <heading-type>random</heading-type>
   </object>
  </object-group> -->
  <wood-coverage>300000.0</wood-coverage>
  <wood-size>15000.0</wood-size>
  <tree-density>500.0</tree-density>
  <tree-texture>Textures/Trees/deciduous-summer.png</tree-texture>
  <tree-varieties>2</tree-varieties>
  <tree-range-m alias="/params/forest/tree-range-m"/>
  <tree-height-m>20.0</tree-height-m>
  <tree-width-m>12.0</tree-width-m>
 </material>