Following the idea of placing conditionals on position in materials.xml, I
have created a rather nice demo for regional textures. But the problem
remains that only the startup position counts, i.e. I suspect
materials.xml is parsed only once during a Flightgear session.

Is there a simple way to make the core re-read materials.xml at runtime,
or can this be implemented without too much trouble? I think the general
idea to represent a European city by a different texture than a US city is
appealing (at least to me), but for people doing transatlantic flights a
regional texture based on the startup location isn't so compelling.

Cheers,

* Thorsten