This weekend I took the plunge and upgraded my main desktop machine to
Fedora 15 + Gnome 3.  Out of the gate I hit some serious culture shock, but
I'm starting to get the hang of the new gnome interface and it's growing on
me quickly.

There are many good reviews posted online explaining the new gnome 3
interface, but I figured I'd post my own thoughts too:

http://gallinazo.flightgear.org/technology/fedora-15-and-gnome-3/

FlightGear seems to compile and run pretty much exactly as before with
Fedora 14, so no complaints there.  So far so good ... !

Curt.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Chris Baines wrote:

> I use Gnome 3 and FlightGear and it works well. I do like the Shell,
> and after a while it does grow on you.
>
> The main problem I think is that people logically think that as Gnome
> 3 is released the Shell is completed, where that is far from the
> truth, much of the work is still to be done.
>
> As you point out its hard to configure and might not be as intuitive
> as it could be but it looks like an alright base to work from.
>
> On 3 June 2011 08:54, Stefan Seifert <n...@detonation.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 03 June 2011 06:10:24 Curtis Olson wrote:
> >
> >> Looks like the linux desktop folks have stopped chasing windows and are
> now
> >> chasing mac?   Quote from an online review: gnome 3 gives you any color
> >> theme you like ... if you like black.
> >
> > s/linux desktop/Gnome/
> > There's still KDE and all the lighter desktops available which do not
> force
> > anything on you.
> >
> > And according to a phoronix comparison, the KDE window manager seems most
> of
> > the time to be the one affecting performance the least. And if that's
> still too
> > much, deactivating desktop effects is just a shortcut away.
> >

> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_desktop_managers1&num=1
> >
> > Stefan

> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/quest-dev2dev2

Curtis Olson: