On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 09:11:18 -0400, Derrick wrote in message
<CAF74wjYAycLCgdY6hz1AY73g9+_=jxej+iiqd4z0d+v6p4_...@mail.gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Erik Hofman <e...@ehofman.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 07:20 -0400, Derrick Washington wrote:
> > > Hi Erik
> > >
> > > Thanks for the input, by the way I thought that bidirectional
> > > transmission was unsupported.  I tried to put both my input and
> > > outputs in the same xml file and choose bi directional support
> > > but I keeping getting an error message saying that bidirectional
> > > support is not supported, I have included the .xml file I've been
> > > using so you can take a look is there something that I'm doing
> > > wrong?
> >
> > Checking the code .. you seem to be right.
> > I'm not sure if it's just a matter of no one tried it yet and hence
> > the protective code.
> >
> > You might want to try to comment out the lines starting at line 66
> > of FlightGear/src/Network/generic.cxx en see if it works anyhow.
>
> Erik
>
>    I don't have source code so I can't alter anything, I just
> downloaded the exe from the site, I'm not a software guy by trade so
> I didn't want to take the chance of being tempted to touch something
> and screw it up,

..if you do, you get to keep all the pieces. ;o)  To screw FG up,
you need git commit rights, me, I don't have them and I don't want
them yet, and I've been here for a decade. ;o)

..making the change is simply putting a comment character ("#",
"//" or some such) at the start of said line 66, and recompile
and see what it does this time.

> can you make the change and send me a new exe?  Has
> anyone ever check serial transmission of data on windows(vista)?
> Beause I can't see to get FG to transmit and receive at the same time
> serially no matter what I do.  Even if I specify two generic
> protocols one for input and one for output (both using serial
> transfer method) to the same port, I get an error saying can't open
> COM port.  FG will send and receive but not at the sametime, and I'm
> wondering why?

..one way of diagnosing this is get a LiveUSB, e.g. Knoppix,
install the same version FG on that and try do exactly the
same thing to see if it does get the same error as on Wintendo,
if it does, it leaves the blame in our yard.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: