I am asking because I am currently working on Alaska elevation data for
the relief. I had to clip 6 px overlap and I converted the .flt data to
DEM format. HGT can not handle 1800x1800 px, but there is also a demchop
in terragear, right?

I like to share the data when it is useful for scenery building. NED is
"seamless" and has a lot of more data included than SRTM. To complete,
should I change resolution to 1200x1200 and provide it as HGT files for
scenery creation ?

Cheers, Yves