On Friday, December 16, 2011 14:57:24 Olivier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's a nice start! Are you grabbing data from:
> http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ ?

Yes. aprs.fi also has a good feed, although more oriented towards ham radio
APRS.
AisHub has very detailed NMEA data, but they require you to send a feed before
accessing raw data, and I don't live in a coastal area.

> In fact, depending on the data format, you may obtain the speed & the type
> of the ship with AIS. So if speed=0, you should use a ship without wakes
> (eg ship in a harbour, and display a type depending on the type returned
> by AIS (cargo, tug, sailing, ...).

Type's already done (sort of), but the foam I have no clue how to get rid of
it other than a different model.
Some images near Amsterdam harbour:
http://i.imgur.com/gNBqS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7Gpyj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gxN5L.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/StpuV.jpg
Crowded, I'd say.

Cheers,
Adrian

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011