> Rather than passing in the eye position as a uniform, why not
> pass in the cloud altitude instead? Is this simply to avoid
> needing to modify the C++ code?

I thought uniforms are things which are per frame constant in the scene
and apply to all objects the same way - i.e. I pass light attenuation
(scattering) or terminator position as uniforms to the shader.

I don't see that cloud altitude falls into that category - it is constant
per cloud, but not per frame throughout the whole scene, I have clouds
with very different altitudes floating around. It seems on would need to
pass it the same way as, say, the top, middle and bottom shade parameters
on a per cloud basis.

Either there's something I do not understand here, but I decided to pass
eye altitude largely because that is a constant per frame for the whole
scene and I understand what I am doing with it.

* Thorsten