On Thursday, February 09, 2012 13:40:49 Martin Spott wrote:
> Adrian Musceac wrote:
>
> I'm not too motivated to write such a script, simply because there's no
> benefit in it for myself, but I'd be willing to run it on The
> MapServer, if it helps.  Anyhow, from my perspective the solution to
> the problem should be a more generic one.
>
> First, the easiest way to get a list of airfield without ground network
> would be to fetch our list of all airfield and exclude just those few !
> where a ground network is available.  Isn't that much cheaper than
> scanning the entire World Scenery ?  ;-)
>
> Second, the "generic" solution I'd have in mind would be a completely
> different one: Ask the AI system to delay the appearance of the next
> aircraft as long as the startup position is occupied, sort AI aircraft
> for each startup position by departure time.
> I think that's a much more elegant approach and saves you from the
> impractical and error-prone overhead of maintaining data about other
> data not being available.
>
> Cheers,
>       Martin.

Hi Martin,

I think scanning the airport list obtained with terrasync should do? I'm not
sure if terrasync downloads all airports, but I think that's the case. That
way I get the list of airports with missing networks.

Anyway, what I had in mind was more akin to this: quite a lot of the airports
in apt.dat are "generic" ones, that is, they have almost the same, simple,
layout, excluding minor differences. Thus, I've started to work on a way to
automatically generate groundnetworks for these airports.

For an even more advanced solution, airports which use the new 850 apt.dat
format have line data for taxiway/routes marking. Of course, using this data
would definetly be a lot harder than generating networks for simple "standard"
aiports, but I think it could be done in the long term, either as part of the
Terragear toolchain, or separately? Anyway, I'm currently not very concerned
with this, and I'm pursuing the simple task for default airports (most of them
have the same format even in 850 apt.dat).

Cheers,
Adrian