On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:59:21 -0800, Roy wrote in message
<4f382829.80...@gmail.com>:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been speaking with some of the folks on the FG forum about a
> problem I'm having, and I was recommended to contact this group for
> some possible help. I'm trying to build a sim using Paul Bourke's
> projection method. Simply put, you can achieve an immersive, 180+
> degree field-of-view using a single projector, a hemispherical
> mirror, and any geometry screen your wish (it could be a dome, a
> cylinder, or walls and a ceiling). You can get more details in his
> papers:
>
> http://paulbourke.net/papers/jmm/jmm.pdf
>
> http://paulbourke.net/papers/cgat09b/
>
> Paul was kind enough to share his code libraries with me that make
> this work. The problem, however, is that the code is written in C and
> uses the features of OpenGL, not OSG.  Here they are:
>
> domelib.h: http://codepad.org/i2EaRFsz
>
> domelib.c: http://codepad.org/42EVHWo4
>
> I'm not a programmer, so I have no idea if upgrading the code to use
> C++ and OSG is difficult or not. I'm also not trying to replicate his
> process exactly. His method uses four different views to get a
> 180-degree field of view in all directions. When flying, horizontal
> field of view is much more important than vertical. I'd like to get a
> 210-degree horizontal field of view and about a 118-degree vertical
> (that's a 16:9 image). This isn't just for home use, by the way. I
> plan on using this setup at a flight school here and seeing how well
> it works as a training aid.
>
> Here's an experimental camera group I've developed to get the "look"
> I want (I'm not sure if it's useful for this discussion or not):
>
> http://codepad.org/zGfzR79D
>
> Any help or advice the community can give me will be greatly
> appreciated! Also, if I can help in some way, please let me know. As
> I said, I'm not a programmer, but I am a flight instructor and
> part-time aviation faculty. So if I can help with things like
> training, human factors, or simulator fidelity, I'll help as much as
> I can.
>
> Finally, I know you folks are busy with the new build. If this is a
> bad time, I can ask again after the release date. Thanks in advance!

..hopefully, the guys will have enough self discipline to stay away from
something this kinky until they have the old hag (FG-2.6) out the door,
should be happening around the 17'th, I'm having my gear coming into my
new workshop home on the 16'th and the 17'th.

> Roy

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: