> Techniques (with their predicate) are tested in
> ascending order of their index (the "n" attribute), so you can
> create a new technique with a lower index than the one for the
> current technique and add a predicate that test (for example)
> /sim/rendering/lightfield.

Thanks Frederic - this seems to be (sort of) working.

I can only get it to work properly if I throw the new technique at index 7
(or lower) though. Otherwise all terrain types which have a special shader
do not accept lightfield shading even if that special shader is off, and
only by dragging down the index to 7 does this problem go away. No wonder
I couldn't make it work before...

I'll test this and rebase it with current GIT, then get it online, and
then hopefully someone can commit it (and do the elegant implementations
later). In the meantime, to iron out the edges, can someone help me with a
few things:

I need the true camera altitude above MSL as a shader-readable property
(otherwise the scheme breaks in many custom sceneries). Currently I am
doing this from Nasal, which means lightfields require Advanced Weather to
run, but apart from that, I guess everything would run with Basic Weather
as well. Is this information somewhere in the tree? - it somehow sounds
like it could be, but I haven't found anything. Even if there's anything
proportional to it, I think I could add a property rule, but I need
something to work with, currently I'm using geo.viewer_position().

Do we have a list of what properties should control shader behaviour? I've
now linked the whole lightfield to /sim/rendering/shaders/skydome because
everything only makes sense together with the skydome scattering shader.
But should we check for /sim/rendering/shader-effects or
/sim/rendering/shaders/generic or any other properties in addition?

Anyway, it's nice to see direct comparison screenshots for the two schemes
- that makes it easier to spot weaknesses and problems.

Thanks in advance,

* Thorsten